In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

Introduction

This is a journal of my experience in life as as a Muslim convert. I share about the things I learn, question, reflect upon, achieve, and experience on the path of Islam. [96:1-5] Read! In the name of your Lord who created - Created the human from something which clings. Read! And your Lord is Most Bountiful - He who taught (the use of) the Pen, Taught the human that which he knew not.

About Maryam

I study Islamic Studies and International Business at the university, and enjoy studying political science and languages as well. On my free time I study Arabic, Hebrew, and religion. I am Guatemalan and American.I am also Spanish, Italian Scottish and German. I also speak Spanish, Japanese, and Italian. I love to learn about other cultures. I also love to learn about nutrition and fitness. I am very active in sports, outdoor activities and exercise, and flamenco dance class. I am fascinated with my country, Guatemala, it is such a beautiful place, full of variety and rich culture and history, especially the Maya. I LOVE to cook and I try to have a well-balanced diet. Someday I also hope to learn Amharic, Persian (Farsi), and Aramaic and I hope to travel to all of the middle east and Ethiopia, Japan, and Sicily.

Knowledge and Understanding

[2:269] He [Allah] grants wisdom to whom He pleases; and he to whom wisdom is granted indeed receives a benefit overflowing. But none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.
[20:114] High above all is Allah, the King, the Truth. Do not be in haste with the Qur'an before its revelation to you is completed, but say, "O my Sustainer! Increase my knowledge."
[3:190-191] Verily in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the alternation of night and day - there are indeed signs for men of understanding; Men who remember Allah, standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and contemplate the creation of the heavens and the earth (with the thought) "Our Lord! Not for nothing have You created (all) this. Glory to You! Give us salvation from the suffering of the Fire."
[39:9] ...Say: Are those equal, those who know and those who do not know? It is those who are endued with understanding that remember (Allah's Message).
[58:11] ...Allah will raise up to (suitable) ranks (and degrees) those of you who believe and who have been granted knowledge.

Sheikh Mishary Al Afasy

He came to my mosque in the USA to recite from the Qur'an recently and when he prayed salat he cried. My first time to pray the late night prayer during Ramadan was when I went to Kuwait in the Grand Mosque and Mishary was reciting Surat Maryam! Sub7anAllah... Here is a video of nasheed (Islamic poetry) from him. He has been blessed with a beautiful voice for praising Allah, masha' Allah. You can see some of his recitations of the Qur'an at my mosque at this site - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg2QYHmRfY0&mode=related&search=

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Haram and Halal

Since I first started speaking with people about Islam and being exposed to Muslims, I often heard the words Halal and Haram in regards to many different subjects. Haram and Halal are words very (perhaps overly) commonly used to describe what Allah has made permitted (Halal) or prohibited (Haram). Yesterday, I was chatting with a friend from Jordan who shared with me recitations by the Muslim brothers Sdaes and Shureem who are two of the leaders in the Haram Mosque in Mecca

(by the way, I looked into the root of mosque, and it is not from the same root as Mosquito, which comes from the LAtin root Musca (bug). And Mosque, which comes from the Etymology: earlier mosquee, from Middle French, from Old Italian moschea, from Old Spanish mezquita, from Arabic masjid temple, from sajada to prostrate oneself, worship - so it probably spelt mosque with a q because it is like the Egyptian pronounciation of MasGid).

At any rate, now that that's cleared up, back to my topic.
When he said the name of the mosque, I was immediately curious to know how the most recognized mosque in the world in Mecca, could be named "Haram" since it is a word used to refer to things that Allah has prohibited. It didn't seem like the the most appropriate word to me so I figured it must have other meanings, but I still was confused because Arabic is based on a root system similar to Hebrew so each word has three root letters and those three root letters together usually mean similar things, not polar opposites. How could Haram be used to describe the prohibited acts and mean sacred at the same time??

For example, take the word "to write" "taktab."
The words below all have the same root letters as the word "to write:"
katîb writer
kitâba the act of writing
kitâb some writing, book
kutub books
kutubî bookdealer
kutayyib booklet
maktûb letter
maktab school, office
maktaba library, literature
maktabî individual office
miktâb typewriter
mukâtaba correspondence
iktitâb registration
istiktâb dictation

.... and on and on. This is only a limited sample of the immense variety of words that can be formed by simple and PREDICTABLE usage of the basic root which was only the three consonants k-t-b.

So as you can see here, Arabic has a system to it. But how on earth could you derive "prohibited" or wrong or any other negative word from the same root that means "sacred??"

Immediately the next day I was chatting with another friend who brought up the term Haram. So Allah had given me the opportunity to get to the bottom of this. What does haram really mean? And what is really Haram and Halal according to the Holy Qur'an?

Why would I just accept what someone tells me is Haram or Halal if I have not read up on it myself to confirm that? This is a sensitive thing because there is a surah in the Qur'an that states;

Surah An-Nahl (The Bees) 16: 116
But say not - for any false thing that your tongues may put forth,- "This is lawful, and this is forbidden," so as to ascribe false things to Allah. For those who ascribe false things to Allah, will never prosper.

So as you can see clearly here in this aya, that we must be very careful about what we ascribe as forbidden or lawful. So, now I am more careful about what I call haram or halal. As one example, meat, I already did a post about that.
A good muslim friend of mine did an Arabic word search of the word "haram" in the Qur'an, and for the most part each case referred to the word "sacred;" masjid haram, shahr haram, etc....

In the Qur'an, it also addresses the lawful and prohibited in this verse:
Say: "See ye what things Allah hath sent down to you for sustenance? Yet ye hold forbidden some things thereof and (some things) lawful." Say: "Hath Allah indeed permitted you, or do ye invent (things) to attribute to Allah."

So I wonder where all this talk of Haram and Halal came from. I still have yet to find its correlation in the holy Qur'an.
Here is a list of all of the places the word "haram" is mentioned in the Qur'an.
Just click on this link: Haram in the Qur'an

This is just another example of how we must not stray from the Qur'an as our primary source of guidance for our life. If we revere it so much should we not take as much care to know its words and apply them to our life? What higher source of guidance for our life has Allah given to us on earth than his own words as given to the Prophet Mohammad pbuh through the Angel Gabriel?
2salam wa 3laikoum.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a comment on the "ambiguous" word of the post "haram", which was used here to refer to the two different Arabic words "حرام" & "حرم".. & about the full meaning for both... I say here:
Even that the 2 words are distinct from each other, the meaning - as I'll show later - isn't too far from one another. That's because both words are of the same root. By the way, there is also another ambiguity for each (but this time due to the common Arabic writing system that ignores writing the diacritics, or "Tashkeel", to the word, just as in the other Semitic languages). So each word has some derivatives that we should look into their meanings.

------------------------
The 1st word (حرم) can be either a verb or a noun, according to its tashkeel and\or its position in the sentence:

-Derivable Verbs: (notice the tashkeel)
حَرُم (vi.): become forbidden.

حَرَم (vt.): deprive.
حُرِم (vt., passive): be deprived.

حَرَّم (vt.): forbid / ban / prohibit.
حُرِّم (vt., passive): be forbidden / be banned / be prohibited.

-Derivable Nouns:
حَرَم (n.), plural:حُرُم ,حُرَم:
[1] holy / sacred (place). [2] wife (recent Arabic).
------------------------

The 2nd word (حرام) can only be noun:

حَرَام (n.): [1] forbidden / taboo. [2] inviolable.

حِرَام (n.): [1] cover / (woolen) blanket. [2] (without definition article, the "ال") an old Arabic proper name.
------------------------

Actually, the 1st word is used mainly nowadays as verb. Its use as noun is limited & usually comes as a "governing word" & with the definition article, such as: "الحرم المكي" (in Mecca), "الحرم النبوي" (in Medina), also the campus of a university is called "الحرم الجامعي".
The 2nd word is always now used to mean "prohibited".