In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

Introduction

This is a journal of my experience in life as as a Muslim convert. I share about the things I learn, question, reflect upon, achieve, and experience on the path of Islam. [96:1-5] Read! In the name of your Lord who created - Created the human from something which clings. Read! And your Lord is Most Bountiful - He who taught (the use of) the Pen, Taught the human that which he knew not.

About Maryam

I study Islamic Studies and International Business at the university, and enjoy studying political science and languages as well. On my free time I study Arabic, Hebrew, and religion. I am Guatemalan and American.I am also Spanish, Italian Scottish and German. I also speak Spanish, Japanese, and Italian. I love to learn about other cultures. I also love to learn about nutrition and fitness. I am very active in sports, outdoor activities and exercise, and flamenco dance class. I am fascinated with my country, Guatemala, it is such a beautiful place, full of variety and rich culture and history, especially the Maya. I LOVE to cook and I try to have a well-balanced diet. Someday I also hope to learn Amharic, Persian (Farsi), and Aramaic and I hope to travel to all of the middle east and Ethiopia, Japan, and Sicily.

Knowledge and Understanding

[2:269] He [Allah] grants wisdom to whom He pleases; and he to whom wisdom is granted indeed receives a benefit overflowing. But none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.
[20:114] High above all is Allah, the King, the Truth. Do not be in haste with the Qur'an before its revelation to you is completed, but say, "O my Sustainer! Increase my knowledge."
[3:190-191] Verily in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the alternation of night and day - there are indeed signs for men of understanding; Men who remember Allah, standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and contemplate the creation of the heavens and the earth (with the thought) "Our Lord! Not for nothing have You created (all) this. Glory to You! Give us salvation from the suffering of the Fire."
[39:9] ...Say: Are those equal, those who know and those who do not know? It is those who are endued with understanding that remember (Allah's Message).
[58:11] ...Allah will raise up to (suitable) ranks (and degrees) those of you who believe and who have been granted knowledge.

Sheikh Mishary Al Afasy

He came to my mosque in the USA to recite from the Qur'an recently and when he prayed salat he cried. My first time to pray the late night prayer during Ramadan was when I went to Kuwait in the Grand Mosque and Mishary was reciting Surat Maryam! Sub7anAllah... Here is a video of nasheed (Islamic poetry) from him. He has been blessed with a beautiful voice for praising Allah, masha' Allah. You can see some of his recitations of the Qur'an at my mosque at this site - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg2QYHmRfY0&mode=related&search=

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Allahu Akbar!! The beautiful final 10 days of Ramadan

Waoooooooooooooooooo. That is the biggest wao I have ever said I think...... Maybe the closest one to that was when I saw the moon turn blood red and eclipse this summer in the mountains on my way back to Washington from California with my mom. Tonight I went again to the Grand Mosque in Kuwait to pray the Qiyam late night prayer for Laylat-ul-Qadr. This time I went with my friend Sarah again, and with my friend Salma and her lovely mother Tahani (OmmAhmed).
I made two new friends just recently from the states who are living in Kuwait for the next year. One of them was talking with me about traditions we hold dear in Christianity that differ from those in Islam and we began to discuss Qiyam. She inquired if non-Muslims might be able to attend the prayers at the mosque. I welcomed her and my other friend to join me and my friends tonight. They happily obliged and we all had an amazing and spiritual experience. I am so happy they had the chance to see and experience this blessed event. It is so powerful. My friend even told me that tonight was the best Ramadan experience she had ever had and she has been studying Islam now for four years. Subhan Allah.

SO many people were congregated this evening to worship together the Allmighty Lord of the Worlds. I had just been thinking to myself last night that I wish that people from the states could experience and feel what I felt and just the next day, two other ladies from the states did just that. Ma sha Allah our Rabb really does answer our du3aas from these nights, and quickly!
I thought that nothing could top my experience at the mosque last night but even the second time for Qiyam at the mosque was just as magical. I arrived with my two American friends and had trouble finding my friend Salma and her mom. But on the way we saw all the people beginning to pray and there were soooooo many, thousands maybe. A sea of women and men in their respective places bowing in prostration before Allah, with the beautiful huge half moon shining behind them in the black sky with Sheikh Nabeel Alawdy's blessed voice flowing through the air from the loudspeakers. It was so good to see Salma's face through the sea of black hijab. We met up with her and her mommy and I nestled next to them and began my night of devotion to Allah the mighty the great the highest the helper and protector the love of my life, the source of my joy the beginning and the end.
During the lesson, Sheikh Nabeel addressed the last four stories in Surat Al-Khaf, a surah that both of my American friends were familiar with and fond of. Later in the evening, OmAhmed, Salma's Mom Tahani leaned over to inform me that Sheikh Mishary AlAfasy, the imam very dear to me, who I had yet to hear leading the prayers here, would be reciting Surat Maryam tonight. I couldn't believe that the first time Alafasy would be leading my prayers, the Sheikh I have admired since hearing his recitations at my mosque back in the states would be reciting Surat Maryam, the first time I ever hear him in person. Of course as you know, Surat Maryam was the first thing I ever heard or read from the Quran. Masha Allah and he also recited Surat Al-Kafiroon, Surat Al-Ikhlas, both of which were two of the first I memorized from the Quran. Naturally I cried tons through the prayers. The du3as were absolutely amazing. Du3as are words of petition to Allah, our requests in prayer to Him.
After this spiritual experience, we left and picked up some suhoor and fresh juices, I had a rose water flavored one, and then headed back home for fajr. It was quite a night.
For futoor, I went with my good friend Nizar to our friend Bilal's home. Nizar is such a good muslim and has helped me so much since I met him in Islam. I feel fortunate to have a friend like him. May Allah bless him and all those I have met through him. AlhamdulEllah. Bilal i American but works in Kuwait and masha Allah knows so much about Islam. I am glad to have met him and his beautiful family.
School is going great, I love all my classes and my classmates are nice. Soccer is going well I am learning a lot every time and I am trying to give it my best. My teammates have been so good to me.
I joined the mock United Nations club and I met get lucky enough to be selected for the 6 who will be travelling to Bahrain or Harvard for the United Nations mock conference.
I'll keep you posted. Yom Sa3eed.

No comments: