In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

Introduction

This is a journal of my experience in life as as a Muslim convert. I share about the things I learn, question, reflect upon, achieve, and experience on the path of Islam. [96:1-5] Read! In the name of your Lord who created - Created the human from something which clings. Read! And your Lord is Most Bountiful - He who taught (the use of) the Pen, Taught the human that which he knew not.

About Maryam

I study Islamic Studies and International Business at the university, and enjoy studying political science and languages as well. On my free time I study Arabic, Hebrew, and religion. I am Guatemalan and American.I am also Spanish, Italian Scottish and German. I also speak Spanish, Japanese, and Italian. I love to learn about other cultures. I also love to learn about nutrition and fitness. I am very active in sports, outdoor activities and exercise, and flamenco dance class. I am fascinated with my country, Guatemala, it is such a beautiful place, full of variety and rich culture and history, especially the Maya. I LOVE to cook and I try to have a well-balanced diet. Someday I also hope to learn Amharic, Persian (Farsi), and Aramaic and I hope to travel to all of the middle east and Ethiopia, Japan, and Sicily.

Knowledge and Understanding

[2:269] He [Allah] grants wisdom to whom He pleases; and he to whom wisdom is granted indeed receives a benefit overflowing. But none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.
[20:114] High above all is Allah, the King, the Truth. Do not be in haste with the Qur'an before its revelation to you is completed, but say, "O my Sustainer! Increase my knowledge."
[3:190-191] Verily in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the alternation of night and day - there are indeed signs for men of understanding; Men who remember Allah, standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and contemplate the creation of the heavens and the earth (with the thought) "Our Lord! Not for nothing have You created (all) this. Glory to You! Give us salvation from the suffering of the Fire."
[39:9] ...Say: Are those equal, those who know and those who do not know? It is those who are endued with understanding that remember (Allah's Message).
[58:11] ...Allah will raise up to (suitable) ranks (and degrees) those of you who believe and who have been granted knowledge.

Sheikh Mishary Al Afasy

He came to my mosque in the USA to recite from the Qur'an recently and when he prayed salat he cried. My first time to pray the late night prayer during Ramadan was when I went to Kuwait in the Grand Mosque and Mishary was reciting Surat Maryam! Sub7anAllah... Here is a video of nasheed (Islamic poetry) from him. He has been blessed with a beautiful voice for praising Allah, masha' Allah. You can see some of his recitations of the Qur'an at my mosque at this site - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg2QYHmRfY0&mode=related&search=

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Good News

2salam wa 3laykom! I hope you are well. It has been a week since I began committing to praying the five daily prayers, and so far so good! :) It is the best part of my day to spend time just communicating with Allah. A lot has happened this week since this decision. I finally received the decision from the university and I have been accepted! Alhamdulellah! I have been waiting for this opportunity for so long. I spent ten years of my life working in a great career where I found a lot of success and I was very happy with my work because I was helping a lot of people everyday. I learned so much and it helped to develop my character.

However, now I am ready to take a break from it to seek my next chapter in life. My current goals are to get my International Business and Islamic Studies degree, get my Master's in International/Immigration Law and somewhere around that time insha Allah start a family. If I did work, which I don't see myself doing too much once I get married, I would Iike to work in diplomatic relations or as legal counsel for international operations with an organization. I enjoy anything that relates to law, international or intercultural relations, and serving the people. I used to be a teacher and I loved it. I will definitely continue to teach all my life in one way or another. Who knows? Maybe someday I can teach about Islam too, especially to my children when I have them.

I am looking forward to the classes about Islam that I will be taking at the university as well as improving my Arabic language skills. I met a new Muslim friend who is a teacher and she is helping me to learn about the hadith right now. The hadith are the collection of traditions from the Prophet Mohammad,
sallâ Allâhu ´alayhi wa sallam, (that means Peace be upon him) that include his sayings, acts, and approval or disapproval of things. Hadith is considered by Muslims as a major source of religious law and moral guidance. Almost all Muslims consider the hadith to be essential supplements and clarifications of the Qur'an, Islam's holy book.

As for the Qur'an, I am also studying Tajweed for reciting the Qur'an. The word Tajweed linguistically means 'proficiency' or 'doing something well'. It comes from the same root as the word 'Jayyid' in Arabic (meaning 'good'). The root letters are: Jeem, Waw and Daal. I love learning the roots of the languages of the prophets, sallâ Allâhu ´
alayhi wa sallam. I am very fascinated by this subject. When applied to the Qur'an, Tajweed means observing the rules that apply to each of the letters in different situations. Qur'an recitation is a beautiful thing. It is one of the things that brought me to Islam.

I remember the first time I truly listened to recitation of the Qur'an. It was surat Maryam. I mentioned about this story in my first post in this blog. I hope to be able to learn Tajweed so that I can recite the Qur'an well myself someday. I am trying to learn a new surat every day, and I am also working on making them perfect. The imam at my local masjid is an excellent reciter and he is teaching me the tajweed and how to pronounce it. He is a great teacher. I love the mosque I am going to. There are great classes, and it is soooo close to my house! Alhamdulellah!


Alhamdulillah
(الحمد لله) means "Praise to God" in Arabic, similar to the Hebrew Halelu Yah. In everyday speech it simply means "Thank God!" It is in the first verse of the first surat of the Qur'an, surat Al-Fatihah! This was the first surat I learned to recite.

Another interesting thing to note is that Muslims and Arabic-speaking Jews and Christians all use this phrase. I will let you know how my next classes go.

By the way, check out this great site about the prophet Mohammad,
sallâ Allâhu ´alayhi wa sallam; http://islamway.com/mohammad/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always amaze me Maryam in your postings specially the way you simplify and explain things. Learning the root of words is great; and with it you can even challenge some Arabs:) most natives of Arabic, they speak Arabic unconsciously. Although, they speak the language perfectly, they are not good when it comes to explain things linguistically. Beside being a businesswoman and a lawyer, why don't you be a linguist:D "mashallah tabrkallah" Allah bless you. Congrats for the acceptance, and good luck in your new chapter, a chapter full of happiness and achievements inshallah.
Keep up posting; "fi aman Allah"

Anonymous said...

A very nice illustration of you about the phrase "Alhamdulillah". Another fact worth to be mentioned regarding it is that, each quarter of the Qur'an comes with a Sura that starts with "Alhamdulillah". These Suras are namely:
[1] Al-Fatiha (as you already showed),
[6] Al-An'am,
[18] Al-Kahf, &
[35] Fatir.

"SubhanAllah!"