In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

Introduction

This is a journal of my experience in life as as a Muslim convert. I share about the things I learn, question, reflect upon, achieve, and experience on the path of Islam. [96:1-5] Read! In the name of your Lord who created - Created the human from something which clings. Read! And your Lord is Most Bountiful - He who taught (the use of) the Pen, Taught the human that which he knew not.

About Maryam

I study Islamic Studies and International Business at the university, and enjoy studying political science and languages as well. On my free time I study Arabic, Hebrew, and religion. I am Guatemalan and American.I am also Spanish, Italian Scottish and German. I also speak Spanish, Japanese, and Italian. I love to learn about other cultures. I also love to learn about nutrition and fitness. I am very active in sports, outdoor activities and exercise, and flamenco dance class. I am fascinated with my country, Guatemala, it is such a beautiful place, full of variety and rich culture and history, especially the Maya. I LOVE to cook and I try to have a well-balanced diet. Someday I also hope to learn Amharic, Persian (Farsi), and Aramaic and I hope to travel to all of the middle east and Ethiopia, Japan, and Sicily.

Knowledge and Understanding

[2:269] He [Allah] grants wisdom to whom He pleases; and he to whom wisdom is granted indeed receives a benefit overflowing. But none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.
[20:114] High above all is Allah, the King, the Truth. Do not be in haste with the Qur'an before its revelation to you is completed, but say, "O my Sustainer! Increase my knowledge."
[3:190-191] Verily in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the alternation of night and day - there are indeed signs for men of understanding; Men who remember Allah, standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and contemplate the creation of the heavens and the earth (with the thought) "Our Lord! Not for nothing have You created (all) this. Glory to You! Give us salvation from the suffering of the Fire."
[39:9] ...Say: Are those equal, those who know and those who do not know? It is those who are endued with understanding that remember (Allah's Message).
[58:11] ...Allah will raise up to (suitable) ranks (and degrees) those of you who believe and who have been granted knowledge.

Sheikh Mishary Al Afasy

He came to my mosque in the USA to recite from the Qur'an recently and when he prayed salat he cried. My first time to pray the late night prayer during Ramadan was when I went to Kuwait in the Grand Mosque and Mishary was reciting Surat Maryam! Sub7anAllah... Here is a video of nasheed (Islamic poetry) from him. He has been blessed with a beautiful voice for praising Allah, masha' Allah. You can see some of his recitations of the Qur'an at my mosque at this site - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg2QYHmRfY0&mode=related&search=

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Finally at the University



AlhamdulEllah, I'm finally a university student. It has been a long road to get here, but here I am. I had been doing so well in my career and traveled so much for it that there was little chance for me to get my degree until now. I felt I could leave my career at this point safely since I had established a good foundation there so that I can go back to it if I would like to after graduating.

I had been living in California for the past two years and now I am back full time in Seattle attending the University of Washington with a 30 credit load this summer. It feels so great to be here alhamdulEllah. It is a real blessing. I pinch myself as I walk through campus everyday to make sure I'm not dreaming. I'm very thankful for the opportunity to be here. I love my teachers and all my classes. I am taking Intensive Arabic, Managerial Accounting, and Calculus. In a couple weeks I'll be starting a course about the Injil (Gospels). I am a junior, so I have about two years left.

I may go back to California after this quarter however, as I was offered a really really good career opportunity there just recently. But I wouldn't leave until after the quarter is over of course. I know it sounds a little crazy, but we have to go with the curves life throws at us, and take advantage of the opportunities when they are presented to us. If I don't take the job, which I will decide about this week, I will continue to complete my college education now.

I plan to study abroad this fall insha Allah and it looks like I would be studying in Kuwait in the university for one semester. I am very excited about that possibility too. I have to study abroad for one semester for my international business degree and while I'm there, I hope to improve my Arabic and study Islam on my free time.

Other than the university, I found a local mosque where I am taking a class about Salat and Purification of the Heart. I am also going to start in a class on the hadeeth on Thursdays insha Allah.

It is a small world. When I was planning to come back to Washington for the university back in December, I joined the Muslim Student Organization at the University and requested help in finding a Muslim girl roommate. I got an email from a young lady who was interested in being my roommate. However, the plan fell through because I decided not to go back to Washington until June. Just recently, I discovered that this same girl is the one who leads the classes I attend and she is soooo nice and wise. What a small world!!!! I am really happy we have become friends. I have made a few friends already through the classes at the mosque and at school. They are all very admirable people and I have a diverse community of friends forming that I am very thankful to Allah for. This is more than what I had envisioned for my social circle at the university. I feel very happy here, alhamdulEllah.

It is my first time going to school as a Muslim and it's very cool that people even in my Arabic class have expressed interest in attending the mosque with me to learn more about Islam, and that is without me saying anything to them about going, it has come directly out of their hearts. That is sooo cool. AlhamdulEllah. Some of my classmates also ask me questions about Islam and it is a great opportunity to share about it with others. It is cool to see people wanting to understand it and learn more about it. It reminds me of me when I was just starting to know what Islam was. I'm very happy for them that they have open minds and want to seek knowledge.

Knowledge is so key to life.

Take care my brothers and sisters. I love you all.

No comments: