In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

Introduction

This is a journal of my experience in life as as a Muslim convert. I share about the things I learn, question, reflect upon, achieve, and experience on the path of Islam. [96:1-5] Read! In the name of your Lord who created - Created the human from something which clings. Read! And your Lord is Most Bountiful - He who taught (the use of) the Pen, Taught the human that which he knew not.

About Maryam

I study Islamic Studies and International Business at the university, and enjoy studying political science and languages as well. On my free time I study Arabic, Hebrew, and religion. I am Guatemalan and American.I am also Spanish, Italian Scottish and German. I also speak Spanish, Japanese, and Italian. I love to learn about other cultures. I also love to learn about nutrition and fitness. I am very active in sports, outdoor activities and exercise, and flamenco dance class. I am fascinated with my country, Guatemala, it is such a beautiful place, full of variety and rich culture and history, especially the Maya. I LOVE to cook and I try to have a well-balanced diet. Someday I also hope to learn Amharic, Persian (Farsi), and Aramaic and I hope to travel to all of the middle east and Ethiopia, Japan, and Sicily.

Knowledge and Understanding

[2:269] He [Allah] grants wisdom to whom He pleases; and he to whom wisdom is granted indeed receives a benefit overflowing. But none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.
[20:114] High above all is Allah, the King, the Truth. Do not be in haste with the Qur'an before its revelation to you is completed, but say, "O my Sustainer! Increase my knowledge."
[3:190-191] Verily in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the alternation of night and day - there are indeed signs for men of understanding; Men who remember Allah, standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and contemplate the creation of the heavens and the earth (with the thought) "Our Lord! Not for nothing have You created (all) this. Glory to You! Give us salvation from the suffering of the Fire."
[39:9] ...Say: Are those equal, those who know and those who do not know? It is those who are endued with understanding that remember (Allah's Message).
[58:11] ...Allah will raise up to (suitable) ranks (and degrees) those of you who believe and who have been granted knowledge.

Sheikh Mishary Al Afasy

He came to my mosque in the USA to recite from the Qur'an recently and when he prayed salat he cried. My first time to pray the late night prayer during Ramadan was when I went to Kuwait in the Grand Mosque and Mishary was reciting Surat Maryam! Sub7anAllah... Here is a video of nasheed (Islamic poetry) from him. He has been blessed with a beautiful voice for praising Allah, masha' Allah. You can see some of his recitations of the Qur'an at my mosque at this site - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg2QYHmRfY0&mode=related&search=

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Purification of the Heart

Salam
My class on Salat and Purification of the Heart was today. It went very well alhamdulEllah. The first class we reflected on a book by Hamza Yousef titled "Purification of the Heart." I enjoyed the talk. The girls brought up some important points about what this means for our life.

My point was that many of us Muslims can get caught up in the details of the rituals of the religion and trying to pursue excellence in them, and get lost in that. As a result, they end up losing track on what Islam is all about in the first place, glorifying Allah and submitting to Him. We become so preoccupied with doing wudu correctly or analyzing hadeeth and other actions that are good in and of themselves, but we forget to address what is in our hearts and how are we being towards those around us. As we fill our hearts with knowledge, we need to keep present what is the reason behind each thing we do and say. What is it that is driving us, as my Imam at my mosque in California, Sheikh Sadullah Khan would remind us to ask ourselves.

We must live Islam at every moment of our life, be constantly conscious and cognizant of God's presence in our lives and our role as his followers. It doesn't matter where we are in our knowledge as Muslims, how much we know at any given point along the line. What matters is we do our best with what we know at each moment to bring honor to Allah and make our best effort to pursue knowledge.

However, if we focus only on perfecting all the details on how to do this or that perfectly, we can risk forgetting that we are Muslims and God does listen to us and we can do things in the name of Allah even if all of what we do is not in perfect form or knowledge at one point or another. Otherwise we will have spent all are lives picking apart all of these things, but never took enough time to actually live day to day as a Muslim in how we interact with each other and reflecting on what is in our hearts and what goodness we can implant into them that would support our ability to worship Allah in all we do.

The point is to have a balance, between the pursuit of knowledge and consciousness of the condition of our heart and example towards others as Muslims. It's like this; I am just starting out as a Muslim, so there are a million things I still have to learn before I will get salat correctly, or do other things well. But I can't wait until I know everything perfectly to start living as a Muslim and applying what I know to my life.

Allah knows our hearts and I know Allah understands where I am now. We can all be kind to others and be compassionate and be patient and have faith in Allah and worship him and commune with Him no matter what level of knowledge we have in Islam now. At the same time we can work our hardest to increase in knowledge and ask Allah for help in this.

May Allah bring you success.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

可爱的尖锐文章。没想到,这是这并非易事。尊重你!.