In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

Introduction

This is a journal of my experience in life as as a Muslim convert. I share about the things I learn, question, reflect upon, achieve, and experience on the path of Islam. [96:1-5] Read! In the name of your Lord who created - Created the human from something which clings. Read! And your Lord is Most Bountiful - He who taught (the use of) the Pen, Taught the human that which he knew not.

About Maryam

I study Islamic Studies and International Business at the university, and enjoy studying political science and languages as well. On my free time I study Arabic, Hebrew, and religion. I am Guatemalan and American.I am also Spanish, Italian Scottish and German. I also speak Spanish, Japanese, and Italian. I love to learn about other cultures. I also love to learn about nutrition and fitness. I am very active in sports, outdoor activities and exercise, and flamenco dance class. I am fascinated with my country, Guatemala, it is such a beautiful place, full of variety and rich culture and history, especially the Maya. I LOVE to cook and I try to have a well-balanced diet. Someday I also hope to learn Amharic, Persian (Farsi), and Aramaic and I hope to travel to all of the middle east and Ethiopia, Japan, and Sicily.

Knowledge and Understanding

[2:269] He [Allah] grants wisdom to whom He pleases; and he to whom wisdom is granted indeed receives a benefit overflowing. But none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.
[20:114] High above all is Allah, the King, the Truth. Do not be in haste with the Qur'an before its revelation to you is completed, but say, "O my Sustainer! Increase my knowledge."
[3:190-191] Verily in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the alternation of night and day - there are indeed signs for men of understanding; Men who remember Allah, standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and contemplate the creation of the heavens and the earth (with the thought) "Our Lord! Not for nothing have You created (all) this. Glory to You! Give us salvation from the suffering of the Fire."
[39:9] ...Say: Are those equal, those who know and those who do not know? It is those who are endued with understanding that remember (Allah's Message).
[58:11] ...Allah will raise up to (suitable) ranks (and degrees) those of you who believe and who have been granted knowledge.

Sheikh Mishary Al Afasy

He came to my mosque in the USA to recite from the Qur'an recently and when he prayed salat he cried. My first time to pray the late night prayer during Ramadan was when I went to Kuwait in the Grand Mosque and Mishary was reciting Surat Maryam! Sub7anAllah... Here is a video of nasheed (Islamic poetry) from him. He has been blessed with a beautiful voice for praising Allah, masha' Allah. You can see some of his recitations of the Qur'an at my mosque at this site - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg2QYHmRfY0&mode=related&search=

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Taqwa

As I strive to refine my character and seek Allah's help in molding me into a model Muslim, I realize more and more how powerful of a guide the Qur'an is in this aspect.

As a Christian, I used to turn to the bible for this guide and I have to say that it was one of the largest influences that contributed to who I am and where I am today. Now that I just seek my guidance from the holy
Qur'an, I have found it to be so complete and it has quickly helped me get to the root of issues I have had for many years that would serve as barriers between me and living in submission to Allah.

There is a word for this tool I am learning about and hoping to obtain. it is called
Taqwa. Taqwa is defined as an Arabic word which is explained as a shield against wrongdoing and further expounded as to be “conscious of Allah” or to have “fear of Allah” or to be “cautiously aware of Allah”.

What is very interesting to me is that as a Christian, I had read in the bible in the very first Proverb (
(1:7) of the prophet Solomon (pbuh); "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline."

So to me, this means that knowledge is not enough in itself. Even if we really know the words of the
Qur'an and understand there meaning, until we truly have an awareness of the presence of Allah in our lives and an understanding of his authority and majesty over us, and of our relationship with Him, we are missing the mark. We must have that "constant self-awareness" of Allah in our hearts and minds at all times. As we seek knowledge we keep this present as well.

I had realized that I had been pursuing knowledge in some areas, but was not yet self-aware of Allah in some areas of my life and that was causing me to make mistakes and fail.
Character is not just knowing between right and wrong. It is also having integrity and we get that integrity through the awareness that Allah sees and knows ALL. He knows our hearts and he is ever-presently with us. We act in goodness out of that consciousness. Would you want to do something bad if you knew Allah was right there with you? Would you want to be inconsiderate with your friend? Would you want to be impatient with your husband? Would you want to be rude to a guest? Most likely not! Well, guess what? HE IS with us.

The origin of the word Taqwa is from the Arabic root letters waka’ ya (meaning shield) and its verb is from the word “Ittaki”. Ittaki means to be careful or to be protected or to be cautious.
Somebody told me that the would like to become a better Muslim but they don't have the motivation. Well, I think that Taqwa is so helpful in motivating us to continually refine ourselves and seek to give honor to Allah and seek His favor. We are not perfect, but we can strive for it, and truly possessing Taqwa is a very significant tool in that. Taqwa is not only a tool in refining ourselves, but it is also a wonderful feeling to realize one's closeness to Allah, to be aware that He's near.

As we become more and more aware of the power of the presence of Allah in our lives, we become more and more submissive to Him as we become more and more aware of His power. The ideal state of Taqwa is actually known as complete servitude to him, which in Arabic is AbdullAh. If you think about it, what is the best character? The character of one with the attitude of servitude. The idea of being like a servant might be hard for some of us to swallow, but think about how strong one's character must be to follow commandments without arguing about them, just submitting in complete obedience, not being overbearing when talking with others, being humble, not being concerned about having worldly material possessions, handling the business of your Lord before your own, living just to seek out the wishes of your Lord. It is a tough place to be in when in our daily lives we might feel like the Lords of our home, of our careers, of our communities, of our social circles, etc....

Even as a Christian I had learned about the importance of this kind of attitude through the example I was given through Issa's (pbuh) life. He was so humble, and always put others before himself, and was not too proud to serve others. This type of attitude shows great character and takes a lot of wisdom and a strong Taqwa to obtain. This Taqwa, this awareness of Allah, is also a gift to us from Allah, because it serves as a protection from sins which we might otherwise commit if we did not possess this. It also serves us to grow in love of Allah.

If you think about it, how do grow in love of others? One might think it comes from what the other person does for us. Yet this just makes us appreciate those people more or admire them for their selflessness or consideration or courtesy. But actually, it is when WE do things for others, that makes US love THEM more. Think about it. Normally, if we want someone to love us, we shower them with favors and deeds and gifts. But what actually makes them love us, is when they are allowed to do things for US. With each deed they do for us, their love grows for us, just as with each deed we do for them, we grow to love them more and more. It is hard to explain, but I will explain it to you better inshallah. Just know that the care we take in our actions to please Allah as we become more and more aware of our communion with him, ultimately develops our love for Him. Just trust me on this.

As we grow in Taqwa, even the smallest sins we become more aware of and try harder to avoid and thus, our character becomes more and more refined. Our relationships improve, our quality of life gets better, and our stress goes down. This Taqwa, I relate to the character values of CONSIDERATION and COURTESY. This is because when we are more aware of our surroundings we take more care with how we speak and what we say to others and consider others more than we would have before. We would also make more effort to be courteous and well-mannered knowing that this is a way to show respect for each other. After all, we are each a part of the other, we are all a creation of Allah and we must consider each other.
Surah 49-13 (Al Hujurat - the Inner Apartments):

“O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honored of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you (Muttaqi). And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).”


It is essentially a discipline. It takes discipline to behave in this way. One way to obtain discipline and Taqwa in our lives is through fasting. Sub7anAllah.
“O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, so that you may attain Taqwa.” - Surah 2:83 (Al Baqarah)


The four verses in Surah 2:2-5 give an overview of Taqwa:

2. This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear (or are conscious) of Allah (Taqwa).

3. Who believe in the Unseen, are steadfast in prayer, and spend out of what We have provided for them;

4. And who believe in the Revelation sent to you, and sent before your time, and (in their hearts) have the assurance of the Hereafter.

5. They are on (true) guidance, from their Lord, and it is these who will prosper.



And for my conclusion, a reminder from the Holy Qur'an for all of us:

“Hold not yourself purified. Allah knows best who has Taqwa.”

- Surah 53:32 (An Najm - The Clans)



No comments: