In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

Introduction

This is a journal of my experience in life as as a Muslim convert. I share about the things I learn, question, reflect upon, achieve, and experience on the path of Islam. [96:1-5] Read! In the name of your Lord who created - Created the human from something which clings. Read! And your Lord is Most Bountiful - He who taught (the use of) the Pen, Taught the human that which he knew not.

About Maryam

I study Islamic Studies and International Business at the university, and enjoy studying political science and languages as well. On my free time I study Arabic, Hebrew, and religion. I am Guatemalan and American.I am also Spanish, Italian Scottish and German. I also speak Spanish, Japanese, and Italian. I love to learn about other cultures. I also love to learn about nutrition and fitness. I am very active in sports, outdoor activities and exercise, and flamenco dance class. I am fascinated with my country, Guatemala, it is such a beautiful place, full of variety and rich culture and history, especially the Maya. I LOVE to cook and I try to have a well-balanced diet. Someday I also hope to learn Amharic, Persian (Farsi), and Aramaic and I hope to travel to all of the middle east and Ethiopia, Japan, and Sicily.

Knowledge and Understanding

[2:269] He [Allah] grants wisdom to whom He pleases; and he to whom wisdom is granted indeed receives a benefit overflowing. But none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.
[20:114] High above all is Allah, the King, the Truth. Do not be in haste with the Qur'an before its revelation to you is completed, but say, "O my Sustainer! Increase my knowledge."
[3:190-191] Verily in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the alternation of night and day - there are indeed signs for men of understanding; Men who remember Allah, standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and contemplate the creation of the heavens and the earth (with the thought) "Our Lord! Not for nothing have You created (all) this. Glory to You! Give us salvation from the suffering of the Fire."
[39:9] ...Say: Are those equal, those who know and those who do not know? It is those who are endued with understanding that remember (Allah's Message).
[58:11] ...Allah will raise up to (suitable) ranks (and degrees) those of you who believe and who have been granted knowledge.

Sheikh Mishary Al Afasy

He came to my mosque in the USA to recite from the Qur'an recently and when he prayed salat he cried. My first time to pray the late night prayer during Ramadan was when I went to Kuwait in the Grand Mosque and Mishary was reciting Surat Maryam! Sub7anAllah... Here is a video of nasheed (Islamic poetry) from him. He has been blessed with a beautiful voice for praising Allah, masha' Allah. You can see some of his recitations of the Qur'an at my mosque at this site - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg2QYHmRfY0&mode=related&search=

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Alhayat fee Alkuwait

Assalamu alaikoum.
Yesterday I went to futoor at my friends' house. They are three sisters from Oman and Kuwait. They are so sweet. We had fun together. They dressed me up in traditional Kuwaiti style and we had a nice iftar. After that we went to Sofia's brothers' engagement meeting. This is where her two brothers would be seeing their future wives along with the rest of the family and start making plans for the wedding and such.

For the first part of the evening I sat with all the women in one room and the men were in another. After a few hours and many cups of coffee and tea (by this time i had had like a gallon because I had also drank some after futoor), my friend Dodi called me from Saudi Arabia. He told me he had good news. He had met a Sheik who is from Kuwait who helps people do umrah. Dodi knew I really really want to do umrah this Ramadaan so he told the sheikh about me. He told him he would be happy to help me go there. But the problem is that i did not take care of getting a visa before i am here and now everybody wants to go to Saudia. So it looks like I might not get to go until later. But I hope it will be very very soon insha Allah. When Allah wills it.

Then we went over the men's room. The two young men were sitting in a couch together and the two girls to be married to them sat down across from them. All of them were so shy. They didn't say one word to each other except small greetings and the girls were giggling to each other a lot. It was fascinating to observe this. I was wondering what was going to happen but then after about an hour or so, the girls got up and then everyone said good night and that was it. All the family was there. It was a nice family and cute couples. Two brothers were going to marry two sisters. Then one family took me home. I did not get home until very late so today I did not get as much accomplished as I had hoped but alhamdulEllah.

I went to futoor dinner with May today. She is such a sweetie pie. It was at her late grandmother's house, Allah yarhamuha. We ate some very good traditional Kuwaiti food. Excellent. I had a soup called Haseera or something like that with some lemon and salt. It was delicious. Then we had tea in the sitting room and the family asked me how I came to Islam. People here are very interested in knowing what brought me to Islam and I am more than happy to share my story.

I really liked meeting May's family. They are soooo great. They are all very educated and polited and friendly. We prayed maghrib salat together too. They talked about how there is a lot of problem in Islam when people want to create innovations in the religion that did not exist in the time of the Prophet and we need to use our intelligence and the Quran to discern between the good and bad. I share in this sentiment with them. We need to remember that Allah desires us to succeed and that his book is complete. We also have the hadeeth to provide us with even more guidance. AlhamdulEllah.
Tomorrow I will be goig to May's aunt Alia's house for futoor insha Allah.

O Allah, on this day, make us, among those who rely on You, from those who You consider successful, and place us among those who are near to you, by Your favour, O goal of the seekers.May Allah include us among those who’s fasting and prayers will be accepted, among those whose evil deeds will have been transformed into good deeds, among those whom Allah will allow by His mercy to enter the Garden

No comments: