In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful....

Introduction

This is a journal of my experience in life as as a Muslim convert. I share about the things I learn, question, reflect upon, achieve, and experience on the path of Islam. [96:1-5] Read! In the name of your Lord who created - Created the human from something which clings. Read! And your Lord is Most Bountiful - He who taught (the use of) the Pen, Taught the human that which he knew not.

About Maryam

I study Islamic Studies and International Business at the university, and enjoy studying political science and languages as well. On my free time I study Arabic, Hebrew, and religion. I am Guatemalan and American.I am also Spanish, Italian Scottish and German. I also speak Spanish, Japanese, and Italian. I love to learn about other cultures. I also love to learn about nutrition and fitness. I am very active in sports, outdoor activities and exercise, and flamenco dance class. I am fascinated with my country, Guatemala, it is such a beautiful place, full of variety and rich culture and history, especially the Maya. I LOVE to cook and I try to have a well-balanced diet. Someday I also hope to learn Amharic, Persian (Farsi), and Aramaic and I hope to travel to all of the middle east and Ethiopia, Japan, and Sicily.

Knowledge and Understanding

[2:269] He [Allah] grants wisdom to whom He pleases; and he to whom wisdom is granted indeed receives a benefit overflowing. But none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.
[20:114] High above all is Allah, the King, the Truth. Do not be in haste with the Qur'an before its revelation to you is completed, but say, "O my Sustainer! Increase my knowledge."
[3:190-191] Verily in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the alternation of night and day - there are indeed signs for men of understanding; Men who remember Allah, standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and contemplate the creation of the heavens and the earth (with the thought) "Our Lord! Not for nothing have You created (all) this. Glory to You! Give us salvation from the suffering of the Fire."
[39:9] ...Say: Are those equal, those who know and those who do not know? It is those who are endued with understanding that remember (Allah's Message).
[58:11] ...Allah will raise up to (suitable) ranks (and degrees) those of you who believe and who have been granted knowledge.

Sheikh Mishary Al Afasy

He came to my mosque in the USA to recite from the Qur'an recently and when he prayed salat he cried. My first time to pray the late night prayer during Ramadan was when I went to Kuwait in the Grand Mosque and Mishary was reciting Surat Maryam! Sub7anAllah... Here is a video of nasheed (Islamic poetry) from him. He has been blessed with a beautiful voice for praising Allah, masha' Allah. You can see some of his recitations of the Qur'an at my mosque at this site - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg2QYHmRfY0&mode=related&search=

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ramadaan Kareem

I am so happy to be in Kuwait during Ramadaan. It has been a very blessed month until now, masha Allah. I just came back home from Futoor (the breaking of the fast) with my friends. They are such a nice family masha Allah. They introduced me to some students at my university also. I am excited to get to know them better as they are also very nice. I have made some nice friends here already.

I am excited to go to Saudi Arabia sometime soon this month in sha Allah for Umrah. If you do this pilgrimage during Ramadan it is as if I had done the Hajj before Allah. So I hope I can do it if Allah wills it. I am excited because Sheikh Al Afasy will be coming back to Kuwait by the 15th day of Ramadaan so I will go to hear his recitation for Tajahud insha Allah. I hope to go buy some dura3a soon. Those are nice traditional dresses here.

I signed up for the the Mock United Nations Club and the Tennis Team at my school today so I am looking forward to that. I wanted to join the community service club but there was no club like that. I thought there would be. Well I hope I can do some sort of community service while I am here. I would feel empty if I didn't. I am looking forward to starting Persian language classes and Islamic Studies too. I will be going to Kuwait University soon to see about the language classes. Possibly tomorrow or the day after tomorrow I hope.

My classes at AUK are excellent. It is a bit segregated. My International Business class is all girls, all 40 students. So that is a bit different than the states. I don't know if it is supposed to be like that or just a coincidence. My other classes are somewhat mixed. But it doesn't matter to me. It is just different. I am taking Arabic, International Business Management, and 20th Century Arab History. I am settled in almost 100% I just need to figure out how to take the buses here and find a gym and I will be complete insha Allah.

I hope to post a daily thought about Ramadaan each time I post something this month, so here is some sent to me from a friend. May it enrich you as much as it enriched me:

Here are some petitions to Allah (or in Arabic - Du3aa) you can say during Ramadaaan, the month of the Holy Quran, the month of fasting:
1) O Allah, on this day, take me closer towards Your pleasure, keep me away from Your anger and punishment, grant me the opportunity to recite Your verses (of the Qur'an), by Your mercy, O the most Merciful.

2) O Allah, on this day make my fasts the fasts of those who fast (sincerely), and my standing up in prayer of those who stand up in prayer (obediently), awaken me in it from the sleep of the heedless, and forgive me my sins , O God of the worlds, and forgive me, O one who forgives the sinners.

And here is a Hadeeth from the Prophet Mohammad (Pbuh):

The Prophet (pbuh) said, “If someone draws near to Allah during Ramadan with some good act he will be like one who fulfils an obligatory duty in another month, and he who fulfils an obligatory duty in it will be like one who fulfils seventy obligatory duties in another month”. (Tirmidhi Hadith 1965)

No comments: